Read on to find out more about the benefits of membership or join the SLSA now.
- discounted SLSA one-day conference and annual conference fees
- free annual postgraduate conference
- three 16-page (minimum) newsletters per year
- SLSA blog
- weekly ebulletin
- eligibility for grants (research and fieldwork)
- eligibility for funding schemes (seminar competition and research training grants)
- eligibility for SLSA prizes
- members’ priority in newsletter publications pages
- discounted student membership fee (with first year free)
- student bursaries for SLSA Annual Conference;
- discounts on selected books and
- special membership category for retired members.
Members receive three 16-page newsletters per year – hardcopy to Royal Mail Europe area/pdf to rest of world – and are also invitied to submit news and articles for publication.
Members receive a substantial discount on the conference fee that is at least equivalent to the membership fee. Our annual conference is hosted by a different UK university each year and usually takes place in the week before Easter. Members also receive discounts on our one-day conferences.
As part of its aim to support socio-legal research, the SLSA has a generous annual fund for grants to members.
The SLSA awards five annual prizes. Three of them are sponsored by Hart Publishing and two by private benefactors. The prizes are: the Hart Socio-Legal Book Prize; the Socio-Legal Article Prize; the Hart Prize for Early Career Academics; the Socio-Legal Theory and History Prize; and the SLSA Prize for Contributions to the Socio-Legal Community.
An annual maximum budget of £10,000 to support seminars on any subject matter of relevance to the socio-legal community.
This scheme is currently suspended pending a review.
This is a capacity-building scheme to support training in social science research methods and the use of data analysis software.
Our student members are eligible to free membership for one year and only pay a £20 annual membership fee while they remain students.
The SLSA is committed to helping and supporting students who are starting out on careers in socio-legal research. To this end, we run an annual postgraduate conference at no charge and including free accommodation and subsistence.
Student members can apply for bursaries towards funding their attendance at the SLSA annual conference and other selected everts.